She was called an "Angel" by just about everyone who knew her. I knew her better as my "Mama". Her caring personality and sweet disposition is why everyone thought she was so special. I can't remember her ever doing anything for herself, it was always for someone else. She was constantly baking cakes, gathering vegetables or sending cards to someone in need. Mama had a hard life but she never complained. Living on the farm wasn't her dream but I think over the years she grew to love it. It started when my sister Judy was born. Mom and dad had moved to Florida when dad went to work for CP&L. When Judy was born my dad's parents begged them to move back to the farm in Sanford and build their house there. Since the farm had 56 acres they would have plenty of room. The day they arrived dad backed up to the farm house and unloaded their things. It was only suppose to be temporary, to live with his parents, just until they built their house but that day would never come. Shortly after their arrival Grandma became crippled and at that time Duke Medical Center could not even diagnose the cause. So, mom and dad were asked to stay in the farm house with them, just until grandma could walk again. That would never happen and my mom became known as the " live in nurse". I know deep down inside she wanted a home of her "own" but being a very christian lady, she never questioned God's plan. She spent a lot of time outside in her garden and at the clothesline. I know now these were probably her escape places! At one time she had both my grandparents who were sick, a great-grandmother who had moved in, and her own family to take care of! Yet she still found time to play the organ at church, cook "homecooked" meals, sew our clothes, freeze and can vegetables, make homemade jellies plus milk a cow from which she made homemade butter! You can see how her wings started to grow and the name ANGEL came about! Never in all my time at home did I hear her raise her voice or yell. She must have had nerves of steal! I remember only being spanked once and that was when my sister and I ran barefoot in a plowed field when it was cold outside. My grandmother kept saying over and over and over that we were going to be sick, and I think that's one day my mama's nerves cracked! I think she ran out the door and spanked us to keep from yelling at grandma! Once my grandparents passed away mom and dad did have the farm house alone for a while but I know she got her very "own" personal home when she got to heaven and with all she did throughout her life I have no doubt that it's a mansion! (probably a mansion with a garden & a clothesline!) Happy birthday mama, I still miss your sweet smile, and soft voice but I know you are enjoying your beautiful "heavenly" home! I can just imagine you playing the organ for the heavenly choir!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I miss her so much and wish all the time that Cole and Ella could have met her. She was a special lady, well deserving of the name angel!
She was truly an angel! We love her and miss her. She influenced us all in her own sweet way!
Post a Comment